Ask the Experts

A Test to Diagnose ADHD?

“My 10-year-old son’s teacher has noticed some signs of ADHD in my child (like drifting off and forgetfulness). However, his primary care says there is no definitive test for ADHD. Where do I go from here?

Based on your brief description, the question is whether your son has a form of ADHD, a language disability, a learning disability—or an overly concerned teacher.

I suggest you have him evaluated by your family physician and then by a child and adolescent psychiatrist. There are no formal tests to diagnose ADHD; however, a good clinician can differentiate between the various possibilities.