504 Plan Basics: A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting ADHD Accommodations

Many children with ADHD receive school accommodations spelled out in a 504 Plan or, in some cases, an IEP. These accommodations are critical in leveling the playing field; they are also confusing and intimidating to lock down. Here is a clear step-by-step guide for parents.

Collect Your Child's Records

You will discuss the assessment results with the evaluation team and decide together whether your child needs special-education services to address how ADHD impacts her ability to learn. TIP: Bring copies of your child’s report cards, standardized test results, and medical records, as well as a log of your communications with the school and other professionals to the meeting. (See our checklist of academic records that every parent should keep!)
  • 5 / 18