504 Plan Basics: A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting ADHD Accommodations

Many children with ADHD receive school accommodations spelled out in a 504 Plan or, in some cases, an IEP. These accommodations are critical in leveling the playing field; they are also confusing and intimidating to lock down. Here is a clear step-by-step guide for parents.

First Step: Request an Evaluation

The first step is to write a letter requesting an evaluation to determine whether your ADHD child is eligible for academic accommodations. Address it to the chairperson of the Committee on Special Education Services—aka the Director of Special Education Services. Should the school decline your request, arrange for a private ADHD evaluation. TIP: Send your letter by certified mail or hand-deliver it and keep a dated proof of receipt for your records.
  • 3 / 18