How Do IEPs and 504 Plans Work?

The steps required to secure academic accommodations for your child with attention deficit disorder (ADHD) or learning disabilities (LD) can be confusing—and intimidating. Follow these steps to establish an IEP or 504 Plan.

Help in School for Your ADHD Child

After your child is diagnosed with ADHD, the next challenge is often acquiring accommodations, such as extra time on tests, tutoring, or seating in the front of the class, to assure his academic success. Children generally must qualify under one of two federal laws—the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), or Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)—to receive free, public classroom accommodations.
  • 1 / 18