Published on

ADHD Accommodation — Or Not?

"Is it reasonable to ask for 504 accommodations for my son — a gifted student with ADHD, who is not failing and is taking pre-AP classes? He has difficulty with short-term working memory."

by Robert Tudisco

The need for special education and/or accommodations under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act is not dependent upon failing grades. A student who is passing, or even one who is doing well, may qualify for services and/or accommodations.

However, parents should know that a diagnosis of ADHD or of a learning disability doesn’t guarantee services. It is incumbent upon the family to inform the school about the diagnosis and the disability’s impact on the student’s academic performance or on another “major life activity.”

Your best bet is to support your claims with a thorough neuropsychological evaluation that pinpoints your child’s specific deficits. And remember that a thorough evaluation is the best blueprint for a successful IEP or 504 Plan.

Copyright © 1998 - 2013 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 39 W. 37th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: ADHD Accommodation — Or Not?