Published on

ODD and Public Education

"How can I get my son's school to provide the accomodations he needs for his ADD and oppositional defiant disorder?"

by Carol Brady, Ph.D.

If you don't have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) in place, you may want to consider one.

Work closely with the staff at school to develop a plan that will give your son the greatest chance for success. Accommodations may include close supervision by an adult, alternate plans for unstructured time, and a behavioral reward system set up by you and your school. Creating the best environment for your son may involve a lengthy process of trial and error, so do your best to be a great observer—and keep notes.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018 .

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: ODD and Public Education