Published on

Social and Emotional Interventions

"My son's school feels no obligation to assist with any kind of attention-deficit social/emotional interventions or training. Can they do this?"

by ADDitude's Education Expert

This is a tough question. The law states the school needs to offer help if the child is failing to learn. Obviously they feel if his grades are good he is learning and own interfere. However the law also states that behavior issues can be a part of a learning plan, IEP or 504.

You will need to document these behavior issues and have the information also provided by teacher stating that child's behavior interferes with learning. Ask the school psychologist to observe one day during a time the teacher has identified as particularly stressful for you child. This may help document the behavior and start some support occurring.

Copyright © 1998 - 2013 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 39 W. 37th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: Social and Emotional Interventions