Affording ADHD Medication Each Month


"It is a struggle for us to scrape up enough money to pay for my son’s medication each month. I'm in desperate need of assistance. We have had to keep him home from school because we couldn't afford his medication. Is there any legal solution to our problem?"


You may qualify for benefits through public programs, such as SSI or Medicare, to defray medication costs for stimulant medications like Concerta.

Also, Partnership for Prescription Assistance (, funded by pharmaceutical companies, advocacy organizations, and community groups, helps qualified families without health insurance gain access to medication through public and private programs and subsidies.


ADHD 101
Everything You Need to Know

Keeping your child home from school when he is not medicated is a separate legal issue. Schools can’t legally require children to be medicated. That decision needs to be made by parents and a child’s doctor.

The law requires that a school district provide a child with a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). If you are keeping your son home because he is not getting his medication, and his disability affects his education, the school may be required to provide special services and accommodations.

While an Individualized Education Program (IEP) may not eliminate the need for medication, it should help him perform academically, whether he is medicated or not.

Robert Tudisco is a lawyer who specializes in ADHD. He lives in White Plains, New York.
Copyright © 1998 - 2015 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018