Accommodations on the SAT


"My son receives extra time on tests through a 504 Plan. Can he receive the same accommodation when he takes the SAT?"


He's in luck. The College Board, which administers the SAT, provides accommodations to ADD students who can prove that their condition affects their test-taking ability—and a 504 Plan or IEP should be proof enough. To line up the accommodation, your son must complete the Board's Student Eligibility Form, which should be available from his guidance counselor or the school's student disabilities coordinator.

For students who lack a 504 or IEP, the process is a bit more complicated. These students must complete the same form, but must take additional steps to document their disability themselves. If you have to go this route, work with your son's guidance counselor to make sure the documentation is correct.

For more information on the College Board's eligibility criteria, guidelines for documenting a disability, and instructions for filling out the form, go to

Students taking the ACT test can request accommodations through a similar process. Students taking this test can read more at

Dr. Clare Jones was an educational consultant in Scottsdale, Arizona, respected throughout the psychological community for her work with ADHD children and adults. She passed away in late 2006 and is truly missed.
Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018