Finding the Right School


"My six-year-old granddaughter was diagnosed with ADHD. How can I help her parents find a good school? The private schools say they aren't good with 'these kinds of children,' and the public school seems to promote students no matter what."


Your granddaughter's parents or legal guardian should call the local school district and schedule a meeting with the 504 coordinator (every school district is legally required to have one) to discuss your concerns. The coordinator should be trained to understand ADHD and suggest workable options. If not, find an educational advocate to attend the meeting with you. (Look in the phone book, or ask your local CHADD chapter for names.)

Good luck! It's wonderful that you're so involved in your granddaughter's life.

Dr. Clare Jones was an educational consultant in Scottsdale, Arizona, respected throughout the psychological community for her work with ADHD children and adults. She passed away in late 2006 and is truly missed.
Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018