ODD and Public Education


"My six-year-old has been diagnosed with ADD and oppositional defiant disorder. I can't pay for the individualized instruction I've been told he needs. What can I ask his public school to do for him?"


If you don't have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) in place, you may want to consider one.

Work closely with the staff at school to develop a plan that will give your son the greatest chance for success. Accommodations may include close supervision by an adult, alternate plans for unstructured time, and a behavioral reward system set up by you and your school. Creating the best environment for your son may involve a lengthy process of trial and error, so do your best to be a great observer—and keep notes.

Dr. Carol Brady is a clinical psychologist in private practice in Houston, Texas. She is also a specialist in school psychology and a well-regarded speaker in the areas of ADHD, children, and families in trauma and Tourette's Syndrome.

She received her Ph.D. from Louisiana State University and she is currently on the scientific advisory board for the Tourette's Syndrome Association and is an adjunct faculty at Baylor University and the University of Texas. Dr. Brady hopes to help children and families who deal with neurological/developmental disorders by serving as a regular columnist for ADDitude magazine.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018