|Adult ADHD Home||Succeed at Work||ADHD Self Test|
|Love & Friendships||Manage Time & Money||ADHD Adult Blogs|
|The Organized Life||Stress, Sleep, Health||Adult Support Groups|
|Apps & Gadgets||Inspirational Stories||Expert Answers|
|ADHD Parenting Home||Schedules & Time||Sample Routines|
|Discipline & Behavior||Teens & Young Adults||Parent Support Group|
|ADHD Parenting Skills||Nutrition & Diet||Parenting Blogs|
|Friendships & Social Skills||Sports & Hobbies||Summer & Camps|
|ADHD Treatment Home||ADHD Medications||Medication Reviews||Adderall|
|Treating Your Child||Nutrition & Diet||Fish Oil Printable||Daytrana|
|Expert Q&As||Non-Medical Treatment||Find Professionals||Strattera|
|Behavior Therapy||Brain Training||Quillivant XR||Vyvanse|
|ADHD/LD School Home||High School & College||Accommodations|
|IEPs & 504s||ADHD Study Skills||ADHD School Guide|
|Working with School||School Organization Help||College Survival Guide|
|Social Skills at School||For Teachers Only||Is it LD? A Self Test|
|ADHD Diagnosis Home||ADHD & Women||Is it ADHD? Self Tests|
|Getting a Diagnosis||Is it a Related Condition?||Medical Q&As|
|ADHD Symptoms||Post Diagnosis Next Steps||Myths & Realities|
|Is it Learning Disabilities?||ADHD Treatment||ADHD Support Groups|
|Tools and Checklists|
|ADHD Topics A-Z|
|Share Your Story|
|Give a Gift|
|Buy Back Issues|
Hyperfocus on Making Love?
How do I keep my attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) mind on romance in the bedroom when it goes a million miles an hour? Can I learn to hyperfocus on lovemaking to improve my sex life? If so, what do you suggest?
First, tell your partner that being inattentive is an ADHD symptom, not a reflection on his sexual desirability. Second, understand that most people with ADHD can’t snap into hyperfocus at a moment’s notice.
The following strategies, however, may help ADHD adults improve their sex lives:
- Talk with your doctor about short-acting ADHD medication. Take these meds a half-hour or more before you make love to “calm” your brain for four hours.
- Engage in foreplay before you get into the bedroom by sending him romantic notes and e-mails, giving him flowers, and taking showers together. These stimulating activities may focus your mind when you finally get together.
- Play soft, gentle music to relax your racing mind.
- Vary your lovemaking, so that it doesn’t become routine. Try new positions and make love in new venues. Playing sex games and using sex toys can also stimulate your interest in romance.
- If possible, exercise beforehand. Many studies show that aerobic physical activity focuses the brain. (Just remember to shower and freshen up before hitting the bedroom!)
What do you think of this article? Share your comments on www.ADDConnect.com, ADDitude's community site. Check out the new ADHD Medication User Reviews and the ADHD Adults Support Group. Your fellow ADDers want to hear from you!