Published on

Getting Adequate Care Overseas

"I recently moved to England, and I’m having trouble finding a doctor who’s knowledgeable about ADHD. How can I get appropriate care?"

by Larry Silver, M.D.

Unfortunately, few clinicians in the United Kingdom consider ADHD a treatable neurological disorder. They view symptoms like inattentiveness and hyperactivity as evidence of a behavioral problem. Stimulant medications used to treat ADHD are available in the U.K., if you can find a doctor who will prescribe them. Consult a support group (find one at or Or, the next time you’re back in the U.S., see a doctor, have a prescription filled, and ask your pharmacist about having refills sent to you in England.

Copyright © 1998 - 2013 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 39 W. 37th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: Getting Adequate Care Overseas