Published on

Recently Diagnosed, ADA Information

"I've just been diagnosed with ADHD. Am I entitled to special accommodations at work?"

by Larry Silver, M.D.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are entitled to workplace accommodations if you can document the diagnosis. Ask your physician or psychiatrist to write a letter attesting to the diagnosis. The physician must identify what accommodations you're requesting and why they're necessary. It's usually helpful if the letter specifies the criteria used to make the diagnosis—symptoms that are chronic and pervasive, for example, and which are not caused by another medical or psychiatric disorder.

Copyright © 1998 - 2013 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 39 W. 37th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: Recently Diagnosed, ADA Information