Published on

Helping Teens with Conduct Disorders

"My 17-year-old with ADHD is oppositional. He has skipped school and run away from home."

by Larry Silver, M.D.

Your son is having some serious emotional and behavioral problems. Based on your description, I would say that, at a minimum, he has conduct disorder, along with ADHD.

You need serious help from a mental health professional as quickly as possible. If you read this and say to yourself, "I've been down that road and it has not helped," find someone else to work with. You may also need to mobilize other community resources to help you set limits (school counselors, community agencies and police, for example). His problems are serious and must be addressed immediately.

Editor's Note: Log on to, a Web site that provides help, ideas and support with situations such as yours.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018 .

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: Helping Teens with Conduct Disorders