Published on

ADHD in Adults

"My wife suspects I have ADD. How do I find a location where I can take a diagnostic test?"

by Larry Silver, M.D.

If you suspect you might have ADHD, it is important to see a professional who knows and understands about this disorder. There is no formal test to make the diagnosis. The process is to first establish that a person meets the criteria for the kind of inattention, hyperactivity and/or impulsivity that characterize ADHD. Then, if one or more of these behaviors exists, it is necessary to demonstrate that these behaviors have been present since childhood and that they impact on two or more areas of life (work, family, social relationships, school etc.).

If you are depressed, it is important to determine if the behaviors your wife observes are due to the depression or an underlying ADHD. I cannot give you the names of specific people who can help you, but you can contact your local chapter of CHADD (Children and Adults With Attention Deficit Disorder).

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018 .

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: ADHD in Adults