Published on

Arranging for Accommodations in College

"I was kicked out of school, but have since been diagnosed with ADHD. Can I be reinstated?"

by Larry Silver, M.D.

Yes, you should ask for special consideration. Have the professional who made the diagnosis write a letter to the Dean of Students, explaining that the diagnosis was just made. In this letter, the professional should state that ADHD prevented you from being a successful student. Ask that you be permitted to return now that you are being treated for your ADHD.

If you return and do well, you can then go back and ask that your failing grades prior to treatment be dropped from your transcript. However, keep in mind that 30 to 40 percent of people with ADHD also have a learning disability. Check to make sure that you don't have both problems. If you do, both need to be addressed.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018 .

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: Arranging for Accommodations in College