Getting Accommodations at Work


"I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD. Am I entitled to special accommodations at work?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are entitled to accommodations on the job as long as you can document the diagnosis. Ask your physician or psychiatrist to write a letter attesting to the diagnosis. The letter must identify what accommodations you’re requesting, and explain why they’re necessary.

Larry Silver, M.D., is the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities. He is also a clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

What do you think of this article? Share your comments on, ADDitude's community site. Check out the new ADHD Medication User Reviews and the ADHD Adults Support Group. Your fellow ADDers want to hear from you!

Copyright © 1998 - 2015 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018