Getting Adequate Care Overseas


"I recently moved to England, and I’m having trouble finding a doctor who’s knowledgeable about ADHD. How can I get appropriate care?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

Unfortunately, few clinicians in the United Kingdom consider ADHD a treatable neurological disorder. They view symptoms like inattentiveness and hyperactivity as evidence of a behavioral problem. Stimulant medications used to treat ADHD are available in the U.K., if you can find a doctor who will prescribe them. Consult a support group (find one at or Or, the next time you’re back in the U.S., see a doctor, have a prescription filled, and ask your pharmacist about having refills sent to you in England.

Larry Silver, M.D., is clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and director of training in child and adolescent psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He is a former acting director and deputy director of the National Institute of Mental Health, as well as the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities.
Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018