Finally Ready to Get Help


"My 19-year-old has finally agreed to see a doctor after years of battling depression and using marijuana. How can I find the best doctor in my area?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

Before you seek the "best," you have to decide what specialty you want the doctor to be best in: ADHD? Substance abuse? Depression? Instead of "doctor shopping," I urge you to consult a child and adolescent psychiatrist as soon as possible. This professional can assess all of your son's problems. Your family doctor should be able to refer you to a good psychiatrist. If not, contact the division of child and adolescent psychiatry at a nearby medical school.

Larry Silver, M.D., is clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and director of training in child and adolescent psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He is a former acting director and deputy director of the National Institute of Mental Health, as well as the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities.
Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018