Recently Diagnosed, ADA Information


"I've just been diagnosed with ADHD. Am I entitled to special accommodations at work?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are entitled to workplace accommodations if you can document the diagnosis. Ask your physician or psychiatrist to write a letter attesting to the diagnosis. The physician must identify what accommodations you're requesting and why they're necessary. It's usually helpful if the letter specifies the criteria used to make the diagnosis—symptoms that are chronic and pervasive, for example, and which are not caused by another medical or psychiatric disorder.

Larry Silver, M.D., is clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and director of training in child and adolescent psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He is a former acting director and deputy director of the National Institute of Mental Health, as well as the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities.

What do you think of this article? Share your comments on, ADDitude's community site. Check out the new ADHD Medication User Reviews and the ADHD Adults Support Group. Your fellow ADDers want to hear from you!

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018