New Doctor, Old Problem


"I'm generally unhappy with my doctor and the medication I take. How can I find a new doctor? Should I tell the new doctor that I have ADHD, or let him evaluate me himself?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

Ask friends or a local ADHD organization to recommend physicians who work with patients who have ADHD. At your first visit, say that you were diagnosed with ADHD, but that your medication didn't seem to be a good fit. Ask for another assessment to confirm the diagnosis and to come up with other treatments.

Larry Silver, M.D., is clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and director of training in child and adolescent psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He is a former acting director and deputy director of the National Institute of Mental Health, as well as the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities.
Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018