How Can We Help Our Troubled Child?


"Our 11-year-old son has ADHD (and takes Adderall, Depakote, and Seroquel) and has been under psychiatric care for 5 years, but he's still unhappy, says he hates himself and harbors a lot of anger. Who can help?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

You describe a very troubled child. Based on the medications he is on, someone thinks that he has bipolar disorder, not ADHD. You need to go to where he can be evaluated by a competent mental health team. Don't wait. His problems sound serious.

Larry Silver, M.D., is the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities. He is also a clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C.
Copyright © 1998 - 2015 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018