Arranging Accommodations in College


"I was kicked out of school after my grades slipped. I have since been diagnosed with ADHD, and believe that was the source of my difficulties. Can I make a plea to be reinstated?"

Dr. Larry Silver specializes in treating children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD).

Yes, you should ask for special consideration. Have the professional who made the diagnosis write a letter to the Dean of Students, explaining that the diagnosis was just made. In this letter, the professional should state that ADHD prevented you from being a successful student. Ask that you be permitted to return now that you are being treated for your ADHD.

If you return and do well, you can then go back and ask that your failing grades prior to treatment be dropped from your transcript. However, keep in mind that 30 to 40 percent of people with ADHD also have a learning disability. Check to make sure that you don't have both problems. If you do, both need to be addressed.

Larry Silver, M.D., is the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities. He is also a clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

What do you think of this article? Share your comments on, ADDitude's community site. Check out the new ADHD Medication User Reviews and the ADHD Adults Support Group. Your fellow ADDers want to hear from you!

Copyright © 1998 - 2015 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018