"My biggest immediate problem is my desire to do certain things versus 'finding the time' and planning them into my life. The two biggest examples are writing, which I would like to do as a career, and exercising."
by Beth Main
ADD/ADHD coach Beth Main, is the founder of ADHDSolutions.net. The best (and perhaps only) way to find time for the important things in your life is to schedule them. Decide exactly what you will do, how much time you will spend, and when you will do it. For example, you might decide to write in your journal for fifteen minutes every morning at 8:00. ADDers thrive on structure and routine. Really. Sometimes we rebel against it, but it's what it takes to make things happen. Otherwise, we float along in a sea of distraction with only our impulsivity to guide us.
Scheduling important tasks is good. Creating a routine where you do them regularly at a set time in a set way is even better.
Here are some other tips for taking control of how you spend your time:
1. Plan to do your most important tasks early in the day, before you get caught up in other things. 2. Schedule appointments to work on the things that are important to you, and honor them as much as you would honor an appointment with someone else, like a doctor. Put them in your calendar, and set a reminder in your phone.
3. Hook your new routine into one you're already following. For example, you might do your exercise after making your coffee, before breakfast.
4. Don't wait for a good time to present itself. There will always be something else to do, some new distraction that seems more appealing. Decide ahead of time when the best time will be.
5. Set goals. For example, maybe you want to be able to run three miles a day by the end of next month. Goals should be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, and Thrilling. Monitor your progress.
6. List reasons why these goals are important to you. Post the list in a conspicuous place and refer to it when your motivation is flagging.
7. Prioritize. If everything is important, nothing really is. So pick your top three goals, and use these tactics to make them happen.