Published on

When the School Resists Accommodation Requests

"My son’s doctor wrote his high school, requesting that his teachers give him class notes to help him study for tests," one reader tells us. "The school refuses to do it, and he is failing several courses. What can I do?"

by Robert Tudisco

The law requires that the school district review the recommendations of your son’s doctor, but it is not bound to follow them. Request, in writing, that the school do a formal evaluation of your son, and review the results with the doctor who is making the recommendation. Provide documentation of your son’s diagnosis, showing how attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD) impairs his ability to learn. The school is required to determine whether your son qualifies for services under IDEA, or for reasonable accommodations under the Rehabilitation Act.

If the school still refuses to grant your request for accommodations, request an impartial hearing by a state-appointed hearing officer, who will make a determination based upon your son’s needs. Consult a special-ed attorney before requesting the hearing.

Robert Tudisco is a lawyer who specializes in ADD/ADHD. He lives in White Plains, New York.

Copyright © 1998 - 2013 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our
Terms of Service ( and
Privacy Policy (
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only.
See additional information at
New Hope Media, 39 W. 37th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018

Adult ADHD | Parenting ADHD Children | ADHD Treatment | School & Learning Disabilities | About ADHD | ADHD Resources | ADHD Community
Source: When the School Resists Accommodation Requests