Accommodations Denied: The College Edition

The disability officer at my daughter's college does not believe that attention deficit is a real disability. What should I do?
The Experts | posted by Matthew D. Cohen, J.D.

The disability officer at your school is incorrect, both clinically and legally. In seeking accommodations, remember that you always need current documentation of any disability. If you have those documents, the disability officer should be challenged.

Your daughter's college should have an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or a 504 Plan grievance procedure to address the denial of disability accommodations. Virtually all colleges (except those with a religious affiliation) are covered by the ADA. Furthermore, all colleges that receive federal funds are subject to 504 requirements, even if they are religiously affiliated. This means that there should be a policy that protects your child's rights as a student with a disability.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018