How Do I Co-Parent With an ADHD Partner?

"My husband's impulsivity makes it hard for him to parent our small child. We agree on a plan, but he doesn't stick with it. How do I co-parent with an ADHD partner?"
The Experts | posted by Melissa Orlov

Your husband's impulsivity is sabotaging your plans, and it may be causing him trouble at work and with his friends. He should talk to his doctor or therapist to find a treatment solution.

I suspect, though, that this may be a power struggle between you and him. Many non-ADD women over-emphasize getting things done "right" versus accepting another approach to solving a problem. While it is frustrating when your husband changes the plan, he has the right to do it. You should, too. You need to be flexible. Identify which issues are genuinely important, and object to his plan revisions only when it really matters -- in financial decisions or when it comes to your child's safety. If you can't be flexible, you will become the rule police, and this could destroy your relationship.

Next Blog » How Do I Tidy Up at Work?

Previous Blog « Why Is My Wife So Nasty?

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018