School-Day Medication Mistake: Who's at Fault?

"I found out that the school secretary gave my son his morning dose at noon. When he took his after-school dose, he got sick because he had too much medication in his bloodstream. What can I do about this?"
The Experts | posted by Robert Tudisco
ADDitude contributor Robert Tudisco is a practicing attorney with ADHD and an expert on special education law and disability advocacy.

File a complaint with your state's department of education, stating the fact that the ADHD medication was not given to your son at the right time. Follow up with a complaint to the federal Department of Education.

Request an IEP meeting -- in writing -- and have your son’s doctor spell out how and when your son should receive his medication. Formally request that the school have someone with medical training on staff.

Until the policy is changed, I would give your son his meds at home before school. It may be the only way to ensure that his doctor’s instructions are being followed.

Next Blog » I'm Not His Maid!

Previous Blog « Teacher Abusing ADHD Student?

 
 
Copyright © 1998 - 2013 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 39 W. 37th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018