Seeking a Broader-Minded Doctor

My child’s pediatrician insists on prescribing medication to my son — even after I say I'd rather try diet and supplements. How can I find a doctor who uses natural treatments?
The Experts | posted by Sandy Newmark, M.D.
Dr. Sandy Newmark

Although medications are sometimes the appropriate answer, it is clear that your doctor is not listening to your concerns. He also seems unaware of the evidence indicating that food and diet do indeed help some children manage ADHD symptoms. Finding a broader-minded doctor or one who uses natural treatments is not always easy, depending on where you live. I would Google “Pediatric Integrative Medicine” in your city. In addition, ask friends and other practitioners — such as speech, physical, and occupational therapists, as well as counselors and psychologists — for their recommendations. You may need to travel to another state for a consultation, but it will be worth the effort.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018