2. “For an adult of your height and weight, we start with this dosage.”
An optimal dosage is not related to a person’s height or weight.
3. “This is an average starting dose.”
There is no “average starting dose.” The choice depends on many factors, including:
- Your history of taking stimulant medications. Those who have taken stimulants in the past might be less response-sensitive than people who have not.
- Genetic differences -- some people metabolize the medication more quickly than others.
- ADD/ADHD symptom severity. “The brain is profoundly complex and results differ from person to person,” Weiss says.