ADHD Accommodations for Students: How to Request Accommodations From Teachers

Need help securing accommodations for your ADHD student? Form a partnership with your child’s teacher! If you work as a team, you’re more likely to get the help your attention deficit child needs to perform well in school.

PREV Slide 4 of 5 NEXT


When the Teacher Can't Help

Classroom teachers often have their hands full and may not always be able to be your partner in attending to your child's special needs. If that's the case, look for someone else in the school to enlist like a guidance counselor, a media or art teacher, a nurse, an administrator, or even a very concerned enrichment teacher.

Ask for an evaluation

If your child's teacher is unwilling or unable to provide accommodations, request a meeting with school administrators to state your concerns and ask that your child be formally evaluated. By law, the school has 60 days to evaluate the child and draw up a plan on how to help.

In the worst-case scenario where this doesn't happen, you may request a "due process" hearing before a judge.

Next: Keep Records

PREV Slide 4 of 5 NEXT

slide   1   2   3   4   5   next »

TAGS: Talking with Teachers, ADHD Accommodations, 504s, IEPs, Academic Evaluations

Share your comments, find solutions and support on ADDConnect!
Discuss classroom accommodations, IEPs and 504 Plans, behavior solutions, homework fixes and more on ADDConnect.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018