Ready for Sleepaway Camp?
How can you be sure your ADHD child is ready for overnight camp? Here are some tips from the experts.
- Make sure your child’s medication is properly titrated. A stay at camp isn’t the time to be adjusting medication or trying new behavioral plans.
- If your child moves easily into different activities—birthday parties, outings to the park—he’ll most likely adapt to camp.
- Be honest about how your child manages challenging or frustrating situations. Is aggression a problem?
- If his overnight visits to grandma’s or a friend’s house usually bring a late-night phone call home, he may not be ready for camp.
- Age is not always a factor in how he will handle camp. A seven-year-old may be ready, while a 12-year-old might not be.
- Ask the camp director if children like yours have had successful experiences.
- Above all, trust your gut.
What do you think of this article? Share your comments on www.ADDConnect.com, ADDitude's community site.
Check out the new ADHD Medication User Reviews and the ADHD
Adults Support Group.
Your fellow ADDers want to hear from you!