Ready for Sleepaway Camp?
How can you be sure your ADHD child is ready for overnight camp? Here are some tips from the experts.
- Make sure your child’s medication is properly titrated. A stay at camp isn’t the time to be adjusting medication or trying new behavioral plans.
- If your child moves easily into different activities—birthday parties, outings to the park—he’ll most likely adapt to camp.
- Be honest about how your child manages challenging or frustrating situations. Is aggression a problem?
- If his overnight visits to grandma’s or a friend’s house usually bring a late-night phone call home, he may not be ready for camp.
- Age is not always a factor in how he will handle camp. A seven-year-old may be ready, while a 12-year-old might not be.
- Ask the camp director if children like yours have had successful experiences.
- Above all, trust your gut.
No judging! No doubting! Just understanding!
Join ADDConnect's support groups for parents to discuss discipline challenges, school solutions, treatment options and much more.