Avoiding Fights on the Job
Find yourself quarreling with colleagues? Follow these ground rules for getting along with others.
- Always look for win-win ideas.
- Make sure the proposals you offer and the positions you take are in alignment with the company's values and priorities.
- Before proposing a potentially controversial idea at a large meeting, test the waters by meeting in advance with some of the attendees.
- State your position calmly and clearly. It may be helpful to break down your position into bullet points.
- Stick to the facts so as to avoid becoming emotional. ADDers sometimes lose their jobs after making inappropriate comments in the heat of the moment.
- If you get angry, "reset" your emotions with a 30-minute break. Do something unrelated to the situation that caused your anger.
What do you think of this article? Share your comments on www.ADDConnect.com, ADDitude's community site.
Check out the new ADHD Medication User Reviews and the ADHD
Adults Support Group.
Your fellow ADDers want to hear from you!