Avoiding Fights on the Job
Find yourself quarreling with colleagues? Follow these ground rules for getting along with others.
- Always look for win-win ideas.
- Make sure the proposals you offer and the positions you take are in alignment with the company's values and priorities.
- Before proposing a potentially controversial idea at a large meeting, test the waters by meeting in advance with some of the attendees.
- State your position calmly and clearly. It may be helpful to break down your position into bullet points.
- Stick to the facts so as to avoid becoming emotional. ADDers sometimes lose their jobs after making inappropriate comments in the heat of the moment.
- If you get angry, "reset" your emotions with a 30-minute break. Do something unrelated to the situation that caused your anger.
ADHD Social Skills,
ADHD Expert Tips
Share your comments, find support and solutions on
ADDitude's free community site offers free support groups for adults with ADHD, plus medication reviews and much more. Check it out today.