What To Do When the School Fails Your Child

How parents should respond if the school fails to implement ADHD accommodations outlined in an IEP or 504 Plan.

What to do when the school doesn't follow through on your child's ADHD accommodations.

IEPs and 504 Plans are mandated by law to be reviewed annually. If your child received an IEP or 504 Plan in January, the annual review would be the following January. Your school will notify you about the date and time of the review. You should prepare for it as you prepared for the original IEP meeting. Some measures to take beforehand include:

1. Complete a new profile for your child, including any new circumstances or problems

2. See your child’s teacher before the meeting to ask which accommodations worked and which are no longer relevant

3. Make a list of the accommodations that you believe are most relevant and helpful

4. Choose goals you would like your child to achieve over the coming year.

E-mails and other communications with the teacher throughout the school year should help you determine which accommodations your child no longer needs, which should remain in place, and new ones that need to be added due to new challenges.

Next: If Your IEP/504 Is Not Being Followed

page   1   2   3   next »

TAGS: ADHD Accommodations, 504s, IEPs

Share your comments, find solutions and support on ADDConnect!
Discuss classroom accommodations, IEPs and 504 Plans, behavior solutions, homework fixes and more on ADDConnect.

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018