Playdates: Help Your ADHD Kid Make Friends
Forming friendships can be difficult for children who have ADHD. Here are tips to make it easier when you want to invite a friend over to play.
- Plan on making the first visit short (the length of a movie or about an hour). Gradually increase time together on subsequent visits.
- Before the friend comes over, discuss with your child what activities they might enjoy together. Limit solitary activities such as video games.
- Put away your child's "sacred possessions" — the toys or other special items he doesn't want touched.
- Go over house rules for having friends over — what they can and cannot do.
- Teach guest etiquette, such as "Let the guest choose the first activity," and "Take turns."
ADHD Kids Making Friends
No judging! No doubting! Just understanding!
Join ADDConnect's support groups for parents to discuss discipline challenges, school solutions, treatment options and much more.