Who can treat ADHD? Doctors, specialists, clinicians, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, nurses, etc.

Who Can Treat ADHD?

Choosing the appropriate professional for diagnosis & treatment of attention deficit disorder can be confusing. Each specialty has strengths and weaknesses. Here is a short list of who does what.

Free ADHD handout from ADDitude...

Are you navigating through a maze of ADHD information and trying to choose the best professional to diagnose or treat attention deficit?

ADDitude has made the job easier with this quick comparison sheet that will help you understand the benefits and drawbacks of each option...
  • Psychiatrist: An MD who treats the brain and may prescribe medication
  • Psychologist: A brain specialist who is not an MD and can't prescribe meds
  • Family doctor: Knows your family but may not have extensive knowledge of ADHD
  • Neurologist: A doctor who specializes in treatment of the brain and central nervous system
  • Master level counselor: Has a master's degree in counseling or psychology
  • Social worker: May provide counseling and behavior assistance.
Get This Free Download

Claim your free copy of Who Can Treat ADHD?

Plus our Free newsletter about treating attention deficit in children and adults!

Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 New Hope Media LLC. All rights reserved. Your use of this site is governed by our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only. See additional information.
New Hope Media, 108 West 39th Street, Suite 805, New York, NY 10018