Free Webinar Replay: Emotions and ADHD: What Clinicians Need to Know for Accurate Diagnosis
William Dodson, M.D. shares guidelines for clinicians to understand the very powerful emotional components of attention deficit.
A note about this webinar: This webinar is part of a series designed for ADHD clinicians. Although all are welcome to view the replay, non-clinicians may want to notify the professionals with whom they work of this opportunity and share the audio and slide materials.
One-third of all adolescents and adults with ADHD report disruptive emotions are the most impairing aspect of their ADHD. Yet researchers and clinicians continue to ignore (or fail to learn) the very powerful emotional components of attention deficit. Among these, the two most common and impactful emotional challenges faced by patients with ADHD include:
- Intense emotional shifts that many clinicians mistake for major depression or bipolar mood disorder
- Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria (RSD), which is a hard-wired pain response felt when patients perceive that others have withdrawn their love, approval, or respect
Play the webinar and slide presentation of Emotions and ADHD: What Clinicians Need to Know for Accurate Diagnosis, plus get more information from ADDitude.
Replay This Free Webinar
In this webinar, clinicians will learn why it’s so important to include emotional considerations in the DSM-V list of ADHD symptoms, as well as:
1. How to distinguish bipolar disorder and depression from the emotional challenges of ADHD
2. How RSD causes many with ADHD to become life-long people pleasers or to avoid taking risks
3.What medications are used to treat Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria
4. How clinicians should talk to patients with ADHD about their emotional challenges
5. How patients should talk to doctors about their emotional challenges
Meet the Expert Speaker:
William Dodson, M.D., is a board-certified psychiatrist who has specialized in adults with ADHD for the last 22 years. A former faculty member at Georgetown University and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Dr. Dodson is a Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and member of ADDitude's Medical Advisory Board. Dr. Dodson is a regular columnist in ADDitude magazine and contributor to ADDitudeMag.com.
Webinar replays include:
- Slides accompanying the audio
- Related resources from ADDitude
- Free newsletter updates about treating ADHD
INSTANT ACCESS! Play the webinar and slide presentation of Emotions and ADHD: What Clinicians Need to Know for Accurate Diagnosis, plus get more information from ADDitude.